1.70 Strategic Guidance requires that the policies and proposals of the UDP should be monitored throughout the Plan period. In particular, the Council will monitor progress of the following:
- the scale and pace of urban regeneration
- trends in the factors affecting housing provision
- the success of the Green Belt in restricting the outward growth of the built up area and redirecting development to the urban area
- the effects of shopping development outside existing centres on the shopping and other functions of those centres and on the shopping public
- the take-up of industrial land
1.71 Monitoring is essential to test the continuing validity of the policies and proposals in the UDP. In addition to the priorities outlined above, of particular concern is the maintenance and enhancement of environmental quality. To this end, policies and proposals will be subject to environmental audit, and the monitoring process will continue to test the Borough's quality of environment by this means.